Sweet Potato and Apple Bake
A sweet potato and apple bake is a wonderful side to a roast or pork. Fresh apples and sweet potatoes come into season in the fall, which makes autumn the perfect time to try out this recipe. Maple syrup adds a touch of dessert-like sweetness, while lemon zest balances it out with a bit of tang. The sweet potato and apple bake can be made on the grill or on the stovetop; we like to make it outside during the September and move it to the stove once the October chill rolls in!
2 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ -1″ cubes
2 med. baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½ – 1” chunks
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 T. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Grill or Oven Instructions:
- Bring a small amount of water to boil in a medium saucepan and cook sweet potatoes for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Mix the maple syrup, lemon zest, butter, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss in the apples and sweet potatoes. Coat thoroughly.
- Wrap all in tin foil, or put in an oven-safe, covered dish.
- For the grill, place the foil packet on the rack directly over medium coals and grill for 20-25 minutes (or until apples are tender).
- For the oven, bake at 375° F for 10-15 minutes (or until apples are tender).
- Before serving, drizzle with a little more maple syrup and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serves 4.