Nothing says “comfort food” like shepherd’s pie! With hearty ingredients like ground beef, peas and carrots, gravy, and mashed potatoes, you can’t go wrong with this delicious main dish on a blustery spring day. This recipe is full of tweaks that can be made based on your personal preference. Like a thinner crust on your shepherd’s pie? Use fewer mashed potatoes to decrease the thickness. Have some fresh parsley from the garden? Feel free to throw it on the finished meal! A Dutch oven will ensure that your shepherd’s pie heats evenly and quickly, taking the worry out of cooking so you can simply enjoy your hearty meal.
Sheperd’s Pie Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
½ medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 bag (16 oz.) peas & carrots, thawed
1 15 oz. jar beef gravy
salt & pepper
½ t. dried thyme
½ – 1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
3-4 c. mashed potatoes (less if you like a thinner “crust”)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brown the ground beef in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until tender.
- Stir in the veggies, gravy, salt and pepper and thyme into the meat mixture, and then spread the mixture out to cover entire bottom of Dutch oven.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cheese into the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread the potatoes over the beef mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the potato peaks are golden brown. Add fresh parsley (optional) and serve the dish hot.