Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This weekend, try an egg and sausage breakfast casserole for a filling brunch! We used a double decker toaster oven for easy baking and clean-up. This casserole includes all the breakfast classics: pork sausage, mushrooms, eggs, shredded cheese, and even cottage cheese! Serve it topped with salsa if you’d like a little extra kick, or a simple fresh fruit salad on the side. If you’re using a 9×13″ pan, double this recipe and feed a crowd. This egg and sausage breakfast casserole will be everyone’s new favorite Sunday treat!
½ lb. ground pork sausage
2 green onions, chopped
¼ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
5 eggs, beaten
1 c. Monterey Jack, shredded
½ (12 ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese
½ c. flour
½ t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
¼ c. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Brown the sausage in a skillet on a stovetop over medium-high heat. Drain. Add the green onions and mushrooms and cook until tender.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, Monterey Jack, and cottage cheese. Stir in the sausage, green onions, and mushrooms.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend in the melted butter. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Spray an oven safe pan (the deepest pan provided with your oven works great) with cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until lightly brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.