Take brunch back to the basics with classic waffles. With the right waffle iron, you can make delicious, fluffy waffles in minutes. And for this recipe, you only need the most basic of pantry ingredients. Pull out flour, baking powder, eggs, sugar, and a few other kitchen staples, mix them together, and let breakfast begin! Want to add a little something extra to these classic waffles? Toss a handful of nuts on the batter before closing the waffle iron, or add strawberries, blueberries, or bananas on top of your freshly made waffle. Finish it off with a dollop of whipped cream for a real morning treat!
1 ½ c. flour
½ c. cornstarch
2 T. cornmeal
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
3 large eggs, separated
2 T. sugar
1 ¾ c. milk
½ t. vanilla extract
½ c. butter, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir milk mixture into flour mixture until all ingredients are moistened (do not over-mix, small lumps are fine). Stir in the butter and fold in beaten egg whites until combined.
- Pour batter onto preheated waffle iron. Waffles should be golden and crispy after 3-5 minutes on high (different waffle irons may vary, so check your first batch closely).
Makes approximately 8 medium/large waffles.