Satisfy the inner child in everyone by making your own funnel cakes! Get out your deep fryer and get your hands on some basic pantry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, milk, and other things that you already probably have lying around in your kitchen. You’ll also want to make sure you have a large plastic bag on hand; it can help to have another pair of hands as well to help with the pouring of batter. Funnel cakes are surprisingly easy to make with a little bit of patience and some sugar!
Oil for frying
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 1/2 T. sugar
3/4 t. baking powder
3/4 c. milk
1 t. vanilla extract
- Heat oil to 360° F.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into a large, plastic bag. Cut a corner of the bag, diagonal, about 3/4″. Pinch the hole shut until ready to drizzle into the oil.
- Carefully drizzle the desired amount of batter into the hot oil (about 1/4 – 1/2 c.). Try to maintain a continuous stream of batter for best results.
- Set aside the bag of batter, again pinching the hole shut.
- Turn the funnel cake in the oil to ensure even browning. Fry 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4-5 Funnel Cakes